Wednesday 31 December 2014

Long Bay Volunteer Conservation Work - New Zealand


Our friend Margaret who emigrated to New Zealand has always been very keen and active in Conservation work and while she was in Scotland was involved in many projects.She has continued this at Long Bay, with her husband Harry,  going weekly to a Conservation group which looks after the nature reserve there. She volunteers alongside a lovely group of people who we had the pleasure of meeting and working with for a day. Their duties include, planting, weeding, tidying up, mulching and generally looking after the reserve. 

Here is Margaret busy weeding, it was quite a cool, grey day but we kept warm with all the work we were doing, so coats were abandoned and t-shirts worn. 

It was amazing how much the weed known as sticky willy was there spreading, clinging and weighing down plants. I get quite a reaction to this weed when it comes into contact with my skin so I needed to keep my arms covered. It still managed to get me though so I had welts on my arms for several days.

The two of us trying to clear the weeds. It is incredible what a hardworking bunch the volunteers are, my legs were aching the next day from all the exercise I got. 



At one point of the day the group stop for a refreshment break, as it was Christmas a special raffle was drawn. Harry, Margaret's husband won "Cutest Volunteer" award, made his day! 

A before and after picture of an area we weeded.

















No comments:

Post a Comment